Our home Planet, Earth, is the fifth largest planet in all of our solar system – and the only one in which we are certain that life exists.
To us, the planet is massive, but in perspective of the entire universe it’s nothing but a spec of dust. Less than one grain of sand, in 100,000 billion. Exemplifying this notion, are 7 awesome facts from NASA that should make you feel tiny.
1. Our sun is just one of 100 billion stars, in the Milky Way
2. Even at the speed of light, it would take over 100,000 years to traverse the entire Milky Way
3. Roughly 70% of the universe is made of Dark Energy, all observed matter only accounts for 5% of the Universe
4. If the sun were as big as your standard front door, the earth would be the size of a nickel
5. The sun accounts for nearly all of the mass in our solar system, the planets and everything else only make up 0.2% of this space
6. Edwin Hubble discovered that the Universe is expanding, and that at one point roughly 14 billion years ago, it expanded from a single point of time and space
7. Voyager 1 is the furthest man-made object to have ever left earth, it is currently more than 11 billion miles from our Sun
Image Credit: NASA